Saturday, April 9, 2011

Myself

The kids memorize and recite poems each quarter at school. Braden recited this poem a couple of days ago and it has helped him this week as he's had to learn some life lessons. We can draw so much inspiration and truth from poetry...


Myself

by Edgar Guest


I have to live with myself and so

I want to be fit for myself to know.

I want to be able as days go by

Always to look myself in the eye.


I don't want to stand with the setting sun

And hate myself for the things I've done.

I don't want to keep on a closet shelf

A lot of secrets about myself

And fool myself as I come and go

Into thinking that nobody else will know

The kind of person I really am.

I don't want to dress up myself in sham.


I want to go out with my head erect.

I want to deserve all others' respect.

But here in the struggle for fame and wealth

I want to be able to like myself.

I don't want to look at myself and know

That I'm bluster and bluff, an empty show.


I could never hide myself from me.

I see what others may never see.

I know what others may never know.

I never can fool myself, and so

Whatever happens, I want to be

Self-respecting and conscience-free.

No comments: