Sunday, December 28, 2008

our new Christmas tradition




I've been meaning to post this idea for a while now and I just didn't get around to it. I love Christmas advent calendars. I wanted to create one that would be meaningful, inexpensive and wouldn't take a lot of time. (I love to sew but I didn't want to get into a project right before Christmas)
So I searched online for some ideas and came across this idea from Martha Stewart. I changed some things here and there and I'm happy with the way it turned out.
I bought 12 pairs of baby Christmas socks, put numbers on them and hung them on a ribbon, that's it!
Aaron and I wrote things that we love about each of our kids. It worked out great because they each got 8 turns each so we had no fights there. We put all the little cards in a Christmas tin under our tree and I will put them in our Christmas journal to keep. You could put scriptures, stories, candy, activities for each day in December to do as a family...lots of ideas. You can do something different each year if you wanted to. I'm looking forward to this new Christmas tradition!
Materials I used:
-the numbers are digital brushes from Ali Edwards that you can find at designerdigitals.com.
-the ribbon is red and green polka dot May Arts ribbon
-I used those Contact hanger things from 3M so I wouldn't have nail holes
-I got the socks from Old Navy. They range in sizes from 6 months to 3-6 years. You could do a mix of kid and adult socks as well. Now that Christmas is over, you could score some good deals right now for next year.
-I thought about using mini clothespins to hang the socks but I just used some mini bulldog clips I already had. These are Tim Holtz ones I got at the scrapbook store but you can get these at Staples.
-I downloaded the "What I love about you" cards for free from Oprah.com. You could make your own in Photoshop as well, that would be really cute! I just stamped the B, P and H on there.


















10 comments:

Gunderson's said...

What a great idea, and so do-able... Thanks for sharing.. Love all of your fantastic ideas... :)

girlygirl said...

What a Cute idea Kris! I love this one! I hope you guys had a great Christmas!

Jolynn and Zak McCormick said...

That IS such a cute idea!! I might do that next year!! I love it and it is so cute and fun!Hope you had a Merry Christmas with your parents!! Happy New Year!

alisha said...

yours really turned out cute! i love your what i love about you cards too! that is so perfect for the season!

Anonymous said...

So adorable. We had one with a poem that I still remember from when I was a child. Thanks for the idea!! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!!

Keri said...

You are so crafty. I love it. Anything to bring the sweet spirit of Christmas and special memories.

MnS said...

The socks are such a cute idea. My kids would love it and my 2 year old might love it a bit too much. I wonder how long that would stay hanging at my house. You are so creative.

Casey said...

So cute. Would LOVE if you lived closer to glean all of your great ideas. Love you blog banner. Designer Digitals stuff? Hope you guys had a great Christmas and New Years. Hope to see you again this year in AZ.

Ben and Maggie said...

So, so, so cute!

Kim said...

I love this idea. That is so original and cute. And I really like that pieces of it get to stay forever and ever - the notes are a great idea and years down the road your kids will treasure each one.