Tuesday, March 1, 2011

reading lessons

I remember years ago being so impressed by my nephew Alec and niece Lexie and their ability to read at a young age. I asked my sis-in-law Alisha how she did it and she shared with me
this awesome book...

Braden was in Kindergarten when we finished this book and he was reading at a 2nd grade level. Paige made it through about 70 of the lessons (I slacked off...will you forgive me Paige?). I started Heston on his lessons in January and it's going great. After he gets home from preschool, we have lunch and then do the lesson. It's our little routine.

I made a chart like this for each of the kids. When they reach 50, they get to pick out a toy. And if they reach 100, they can choose another prize.

Stickers are the magic motivators. I went to Walmart and Hallmark and picked out stickers that represented everything Hes loves: motorcycles, Star Wars, Iron Man and dinosaurs. After he completes a lesson, he gets a sticker on this sheet.




There are many different methods and books on learning to read. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about it. I just wanted to share this with you because it's been such a positive thing for my kids and I'm sure Alisha would say the same thing. It's takes work and patience but when it starts to click, it's exciting!

Thanks Alisha!



2 comments:

alisha hammond said...

it is awesome! hard work, yes...we have the tear stained pages to prove it! but oh so worth it:)

kris said...

Thanks Alisha!