Monday, May 3, 2010

Grand Canyon hike


Last weekend was a much needed getaway for me. I went with a group of women (from my former ward, some of them close friends of mine) to the south rim of the Grand Canyon to hike the Bright Angel trail. Honestly, it was one of the most enriching experiences I've ever had.

We left Friday morning for Flagstaff. When we got there, we all went downtown for some shopping, food and entertainment. The city was having a youth festival with all kinds of dancing and music. We stayed at a hotel and drove to the GC the next morning. We couldn't have asked for more beautiful weather. The trail was a total of 6 miles and I loved every step of it.

On our journey, I couldn't help but think of analogies a person can come up with while hiking in that canyon. You look down and see how far it is and you begin to question whether you can actually do it. It's possible, with some preparation...you just have to put one step in front of the other. I was also thinking about how life is a lot like this trail we hiked...


It has it's ups and downs, it's rocky in places and flat in others. Also like life, it's important to stop, look around and see how far you've come and really enjoy the scenery. The views there...the pictures just don't do it justice...
We made it! me, Cheryl and Ardie

Kym and I. This whole trip was planned a year ago by her. I'm so grateful to call her my friend.
This was taken before the hike. You can tell because we're all excited and have tons of energy. Some women hiked part of the way and some of us hiked more.
me right before the hike. I brought my new little point and shoot camera so I wouldn't have to haul my big one around. It worked out great.
Thank you to Nuskin, the company I used to work for. That free backpack has served Aaron and I well over the years. ;)






1 comment:

Unknown said...

that looks awesome Kris! i hope you're able to endure all the bumps along the trail ~ sometimes the bumpy path seems never-ending and you're shocked when it's smooth sailing again. miss you guys.