Tuesday, November 18, 2008

a fun Thanksgiving craft

Thanksgiving is right around the corner! I'm so ready for my favorite Thanksgiving dish, Frog Eye Salad. (It always tastes better when my Mom makes it :)

I wanted to share a fun craft that I’m working on for the big day. I got this idea from the November issue of Parents magazine.

Instructions:
-Cut a 1-inch sliver off the bottom of a 9-inch polystyrene ball. (I found an 8 inch one in the craft section at Walmart for around $8.)

-Wrap sphere neatly in thick dark-brown yarn, covering surface completely; knot on bottom.
-Make a 4-inch ball from light-brown yarn and attach to body with a wooden craft stick.
-Create simple facial features using felt: white circles (approximately the size of a quarter, with 1/8-inch pom-poms for pupils) for eyes, yellow triangles for the beak, and long red felt teardrops as the wattle. (I'm just using googly eyes and scraps that I have on hand)
-Cut feather shapes from colored craft paper (or old scrapbook paper you’re not using anymore)and bend in half lengthwise to create seam.
-Have the kids write or draw things that they are thankful for
-Glue wooden craft stick to the bottom third of the feather and insert in a fan shape on turkey body.

5 comments:

alisha said...

kris how cute is that? what a fun
project for you and the kids!

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

I love it. What a great idea. I will have to make one with my kids.

LostinPlaceKim said...

That is such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

The Rook Family said...

That's cute. And I am thankful my kids don't like the every annoying ELMO. LOL

I could never make that either. I suck at crafts. Alot.
Jenn Oleen Rook

Gunderson's said...

Very cute, as always.. Thanks for always sharing your cute and fun ideas...